Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Saggy jeans....

Let's face it, were it not for my teenage son, I wouldn't be listening to JayZ on my way to yoga and pretending to be Alicia Keys in my car belting out the lyrics "these streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you..." 

And there is reason to ponder the question as to whether fashion trends start on the runway or on the  streets.  Parents have gone as far as campaigning publicly against the way teenagers wear their jeans - slung very low on the hipbone and fastened with a shoestring!  Where exactly this trend came from is still being  debated but I'd like to think that teenagers have a right to wear their style the way we wore our bell-bottoms, midribs and neon-colored lycra leggings in the 70's (oh, and I forgot the big hair!) 

My teenager has gone from saggy tight to saggy baggy jeans and although he does not require my blessings, he still needs a chauffeur to drive him to Zumiez.  These travels have been educational for me and I see now where street precedes runway.  Where does "functional" come from? "Tough as nails chic?" "Retro?" "Put-together? ""Deconstructed?"  The point is, style is individualistic - you need to make it work for you and then be able to pull it off!  And where better to test that than live en la calle?  So the next time I see those saggy jeans, I will think skatepark or library?  And yes, right now, I'm listening to Lady Gaga and Adam Lambert!

on the street in Rome
Hoodie, Beanie and pre-California jeans

photo credit:Teen Vogue

New Era baseball cap, earphone in one ear

teenager jeans, Uggs

pre-IPad backpack?

Evolution
photo credit: bhs.co.uk

No comments: