Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sonia Rykiel pour H&M, oooh lala....

It wasn't so long ago when I not only eliminated bright colours from my wardrobe but also did away with prints and patterns.  And although the walls in my flat were painted Provençal lavender, Schönbrunn yellow, ivy green and sky blue, my closet looked like the pallette of a Long Island house of beige, white and heather grey. Black suits and jackets occupied an entire separate rack - they were functional and served their purpose.  When necessary, the shawl looped around loosely provided the splash of color and print, the jewelry signified the mood of the day, the bag and shoes were arm and foot candy respectively.

Towards the end of summer last year, I was actually looking at an extravagantly colourful dress at a small shop in town appropriately called "Napaloha," where, sensing my hesitation, the helpful shop associate said "you shouldn't be averse to wearing bright colours because by doing so, you also brighten the day of those who see you!"  I thought that that was a good line and even though I did not succumb then, I think that now, as we say in German "es ist soweit......!"

Colours are big this season, stripes abound, flower prints are present and bows are all over.   And very momentous, there is Sonia Rykiel pour H&M!



photo credits: H&M

The story goes that since Casa Rykiel has been constantly plagued with the dilemna of the Swedish retailer's copying their wares, they decided to get it over with and approached H&M for a fruitful collaboration.  Nathalie Rykiel was quoted as saying "if you can't beat them, join them!"  

Due at select stores on February 20th.  Don't know about you but I am there! 

No comments: