Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Henry Beguelin


I think it was in July 2000 when the shops in Vienna were having their annual summer sales that a dark mocha hobo handbag in the window of one of my favourite shops called Kowalsky, caught my eye.  From the outside looking in, it was not difficult to perceive the high quality and craftsmanship of the item -- it was earthy, understated and most definitely handcrafted.  Of course I went in to inquire and was told that it was a HENRY BEGUELIN, a name that I had never heard of but would, from that day on list as my handbag designer of choice!  

I fell in love with it instantly but did not purchase (believe it or not!) As a result, I found myself taking very hesitant steps towards home-- as is usually the case when I am feeling terribly torn apart.  I was at Kowalsky's door the minute they opened at 10:30 the following morning, only to be told that they had shipped all their sale items back to the warehouse as "yesterday was our last day of sale."  Imagine how contrite I felt, not to mention how my desire for that bag had then just greatly intensified!  Short of begging, I persuaded the store assistant to try and locate it for me.  A week passed until I heard back from her and yes, she had found the bag, it had been set aside and was ready for pick-up.   It was fate, I was meant to carry a Beguelin and I have loved this possession now for ten years running!
Forward to 2010, I had been meaning to blog about this fabulous label and was going to post this last week until I discovered that not too far away from me, on Sacramento Street in San Francisco, is a Henry Beguelin shop!  I remembered that neighborhood and have actually been to a very nice restaurant there (thanks to Serena) called Spruce.  So guess what today's activity was?
I had to move to California to finally walk into a Henry Beguelin shop and as I have always anticipated, the store is as beautiful as all the items in it!  The helpful sales associate was very knowledgeable and it is through the courtesy of the store manager that I am able to post these photos.
The Masai M
The Africa scaglie
I COVET these mules
and these sandals
and would love to steal these looks.....
photo source: HENRY BEGUELIN

Begun on the island of Elba and now based in Milan, HENRY BEGUELIN's methods are to me the fashion equivalent of the slow food approach.  The character of the leathers is revealed through natural processes without the forcible action of chemicals, thus, re-cultivating age-old practices-- "low-tech" as they call it.  Also resulting from this manner are the warmth and authenticity of the colors.  The ornaments on each bag, shoe, jewelry, belt and clothing are stitched by hand-- no wonder they are so exceptional.   

Look for the naïf as I've discovered it is called (not "the little man" as I used to  say!)  This is their emblem.
So, other than the fact that I am still terrified about driving on those steep hills of San Francisco, this area might just be a frequent destination. 

More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love this post